Monday, March 28, 2011

Coffee

Don't you just love walking into someones home, or even being in your own home, and smell freshly baked cookies that just came out of the oven? That's how it is at my place now, as I just finished baking Mocha Truffle Cookies-yes, you read correctly, Mocha-Truffle-Cookies...it tastes as divine as it sounds. Now I have to admit, that I baked these last minute because my last batch was a disaster. When I was making the dough, I knew there was something off about it, but I couldn't put my finger on what it was, even my mother who checked out what I was doing, commented that the dough looked unusually dry. It wasn't until I started baking the first batch that I realized that I totally forgot to add sugar. Perhaps the missing sugar is partial to the crumbly effect of the dough, but I was also suspicious of the large amount of flour ( 2 cups) that the recipe calls for. When I re-did the recipe, I included all the ingredients accordingly-even the sugar, however I cut the flour to 1 1/2 cups. The texture was perfect, the cookies came out great, and I'm loving the smell of my home.

-Ann

Mocha Truffle Cookies*
1/2 cup butter/margarine 
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 tablespoon instant coffee
3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour (I advise you use 1 1/2 cups)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Directions

1. Melt butter with 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a large sauce pan. Remove from heat and stir in coffee crystals.

2. Cool five minutes and combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla with coffee mixture.

3. In a medium bowl mix flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Stir into coffee mixture, then add remaining 1 cup chocolate chips. Drop by tablespoonful onto lightly greased baking sheets. (I used parchment paper.)

4. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes. Cool 1 minute before removing from pan to cool on wire rack.

*I wrote down the recipe years ago and didn't put the authors name, so I have no idea where I got it from, but I did not create this recipe...even though I kinda wish I did.

1 comment: