Low Fat Bran Muffins
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
1 cup low-fat milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins or blueberries or dried cranberries (I omitted the fruit)
1. Preheat oven to 375F and line muffin tins with paper liners or grease well.
2. Mix togher wheat bran and milk and let stand for about 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix together aplesauce, banana, brown sugar and vanilla. Add to the bran and milk mixture. Stir in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. Gently fold in raisins (or other dried fruits.)
5. Fill muffin tins almost to the top and bake for 15-20 minutes.