Monday, March 21, 2011

Apple

Hey Ya'll. First I want to start off by saying it's officially spring, yaaaaaaaay!!!!! The sun is setting later, plants are sprouting from the earth, and the best part is that the weather is getting warmer...until this Wednesday, when the temp is suppose to dip down and start snowing again-but the point is that technically, spring has arrived!

Below is an Apple Blueberry Crumble recipe that I got from Donna Hay's Modern Classics book 2. Now I have to admit that I am not a fan of baked apple recipes, people who know me, know that I find 'em slimy, so when I made this crumble, I happily shared this with the rest of my family. All I can say is that if you like apple pie, and strudels, you will love this crumble recipe.

-Ann

Apple and Blueberry Crumble

7 green apples (1.2 kg/2 lb 7 oz), cored and chopped (I used macintosh apples cause grannies are way too sour in my opinion.)
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Topping
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup plain (all-purpose) flour
75g (2 1/2 oz) butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Place the apples, blueberries, sugar, lemon rind, and lemon juice in a bowl and stir to combine. Transfer to a large ovenproof dish. To make the topping, place the rolled oats, sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon in a bowl and mix to combine. Spoon the oat mixture over the fruit and bake for 55 minutes or until the topping is dark golden and crisp and the apple is soft. Serve warm with thick (double) cream or ice cream if desired.

~Serves 4


-----------------------------.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~----------------------------

I LOVE fritters. That's why I don't make them so often - otherwise I would be 200 pounds by now. They are on my comfort food list. And perfect for a rainy day with a cup of tea. Or for any day, really. =)

This fritters are so light and fluffy that if I haven't practiced my self-restraint I'd have eaten them all by myself. Luckily I had some helpers/tasters this time. And they all gave thumbs up. =)

-Ana

Apple Fritters

From this amazing website - with step-by-step pics!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 apples, peeled and diced - Ree sugests Granny Smith but I used Gala apples; you can use Fuji apples, as well.

1. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.

2. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add milk, melted butter, and vanilla.

3. Gently fold dry and wet ingredients together until just combined (do not overmix.) Fold in apples. Add enough apples to make a very chunky batter.

4. Heat a couple of inches of canola oil over medium to medium-low heat. When it gets hot, drop a little drop of batter into the oil. If it sizzles immediately and rises to the top, the oil is ready; if it burns quickly, turn down the heat.

5. Drop teaspoons of batter into the hot oil, six or eight at a time. Sometimes they’ll flip over by themselves; sometimes you have to flip them. Just watch them and make sure they don’t get too brown, but cook them long enough to make sure the batter’s cooked through, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes total.

6. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Dust very generously with powdered sugar or roll them into a sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Serve warm!
**May be heated up the next day in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment