Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Whole Wheat Banana Bread

Hey hey hey, let's bake a cake! Again. But cake's always good. ;)
Besides, this banana bread is super good for you. It's made with whole wheat flour (fiber), nuts (antioxidant) bananas (potassium) and coconut (er..hm..fiber?). See? All good stuff. =)
This is the best banana bread I've had so far. Seriously. It is at the top of my banana bread list. Go make some for you! ;)


3 cups whole wheat flour - I used 2 c. whole wheat and 1 c. all-purpose and worked out fine
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
2 cups brown sugar - I used 3/4 c brown sugar and 3/4 caster sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon vanilla extract - I used 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 tablespoon banana extract - I ommited
1 1/2 cups very ripped bananas, mashed (about 3 bananas)
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped - I used Brazil nuts
1/2 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Grease the pan with butter.
2. In a small bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, and salt. In another large bowl, whisk the eggs, oil, and sugar. Add the flour mixture to the eggs mixture, mixing with a spoon/spatula.
3. Add vanilla and banana extracts, mashed bananas, coconut, nuts and the buttermilk, mixing until incorporated.
4. Pour into the pan and bake for 60-65 minutes. Let it cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

PS.: I poured half the batter into the pan, arranged some banana slices over it and topped with the rest of the batter.

Recipe taken from here (in Portuguese).






3 comments:

  1. I just made this banana bread, and I don't think I will be making it again for a long time because I'm eating it like crazy. This has to be one of the best banana breads I have ever eaten. I have some comments to make. 1) It's a lot of batter for a banana bread-did it all fit in your bread pan? I used a retangular cake pan. 2) I didn't have any coconut nor did I include the nuts but I added a teaspoon of cinnamon instead. Anyway, great recipe find Ana! I'm so embarrassed over the amount I just ate, but it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phew! You scared me Ann, I thought you were going to say you didn't like the cake! But I'm glad you did, I loved it. I'm trying to save some bananas to make it again but they seem to vanish from my counter....Maybe I need to hide them. hahha.
    Yes, it's a lot of batter for just one loaf pan - I think I forgot to mention that, oops! I didn't have any problems because i used a bigger pan.
    Try to add some coconut next time, I think you will like it. =)
    Thanks for the comment, Ann! =D

    ReplyDelete