This coconut pie is so good we've made it several times now. Just remembering it makes my mouth water. Seriously. I won't say this is the best coconut pie I've ever had, but it's very, very close. And it's perfect for you folks enjoying summer because is a no-bake, super fast dessert. =)
I'm off to enjoy the cold weather. Brrr. Have a great weekend!
200g Maria type cookies
100g (7 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/2 can sweetened condensed milk
320ml (1 1/3 cup) milk - used wholemilk
2 tablespoons cornstarch
100g shredded coconut
1 cup whipping cream
1. Start toasting the coconut. Preheat oven to 375ºF/ 190ºC. Spread coconut evenly in a baking sheet. Put in the oven and, this is super important, keep an eye on it at all times! It can go from golden to black in seconds. 10 minutes should be enough, but it'll depend on your oven. Stir every 5 minutes to make sure all sides are browned evenly. It's ready when golden brown. Let it cool.
2. Finelly crush the Maria cookies in a food processor, or in a blender. Transfer to a bowl and add the butter. Mix with your fingertips untill all the butter is combined.
3. Transfer to a 8-inch springform pan or pie dish and press evenly into the bottom and sides. Keep aside, or in the fridge if you want.
4. Make the filling: Combine condensed milk, milk and cornstarch in a heavy-bottomed pan. Whisk until the cornstarch is dissolved.
5. Put a sift over the pan and strain the eggyolks. Put over medium heat whisking constantly until it thickens.
6. Pour over pie crust and let it cool completely.
7. Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Spread over coconut cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Adapted from here (In Portuguese).