Monday, April 11, 2011

Honey

I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested honey. It was so hard to find a recipe with honey as the main ingredient. I was feeling like making honey buns, but I kept finding honey bun cake, and you know what? Honey bun cake does not contain an ounce of honey-I don't get it. Anyway, from the relatively few recipes that I found online, I chose Old German Honey Cookies from allrecipes.ca. There have been good reviews from people who have baked these cookies, so I decided to try baking these for myself. I had to cut the amount in half because the quantity was enough to feed an army, but these cookies turned out surprisingly well. When I was making the dough, I thought about sprinkling some coarse cane sugar on top to add taste and texture. If delicate had a taste, these German honey cookies would be it. Without the cane sugar, they are light, fluffy, and pair quite perfectly with a warm beverage.

-Ann
Old German Honey Cookies

1 cup white sugar
1 cup shortening
1 cup honey
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup of coarse sugar (optional)

Directions

1. In a saucepan over low heat, melt together sugar, shortening, and honey. Let it cool.
2. Mix together eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and ginger. Gradually add to cooled honey mixture.
3. Slowly add 4 cups of flour to mixture. Stir until well blended. Drop by teaspoon onto cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
4. Sprinkle some coarse sugar on top of each cookie. Bake at 350ºF/180ºC until golden (10-12 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment