HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANA!
You have been a great friend and an inspiration to me when it comes to exploring and expanding my passion in baking.
Since I cannot be in Brazil to celebrate your birthday (even though I would love to!) I decided to bake something special for you instead. So my gift to you is Red Velvet Cupcakes. I decided to bake these for you for two reasons: 1) The first time I've ever had red velvet cupcakes was in Brazil, and 2) You're a cupcake fanatic.
These cupcakes were awesome-just like you. I love you, and miss you Ana!
With Birthday Hugs and Kisses
-Ann2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
Red Velvet Cupcakes*
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz. red food coloring (two bottles)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12 cup muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2. Sift together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. In a smaller bowl, mix food colour, and cocoa powder to form a thin paste without lumps and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla and the red cocoa paste, scraping down the bowl with a spatula as you go.
4. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mix, then beat in 1/2 of the buttermilk.
5. Beat in another 1/3 of the flour mixture, then add the second 1/2 of the buttermilk. Add the last 1/3 of the flour mixture, and mix until well combined, making sure to scrape down the sides with a spatula.
6. In a small bowl, mix vinegar and baking soda. Add vinegar mixture to the cake batter and stir well to combine.
7. Fill cupcake cups with cake batter untill they are a little under 3/4 full.
8. Place muffin tins in preheated oven. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
9. Cool for ten minutes, and frost and decorate the the tops.
*This fabulous recipe was taken from bestcupcakerecipes.blogspot.com